Help to improve environmental sustainability at Rhodes and in Grahamstown
The Rhodes University Green Fund is designed to promote environmental sustainability at Rhodes and in Grahamstown more generally. This is a great opportunity for Grahamstown NGO’s to be part of the Grahamstown community and engage rivals through a team challenge. The idea is to challenge rivals (or friends) to enter and even race against each other. Ideally, the losing team would make a donation of a mutually agreed penalty to the Green Fund. Therefore, please:
– encourage your staff and members to participate in the Green Fund Run, and
– challenge competitors to enter the race.
The relay race
The race is at 4:30 pm on Sunday 18th March 2012 starting at the entrance to the Botanical Gardens on Lucas Street, Grahamstown. The Green Fund Run is in the form of a relay of 3 legs. Therefore, there will typically be 3 members per team each completing a distance of about 1.7 km (total distance = 5 km), but some teams may wish to have more than 1 member per leg while others may wish to have members complete more than 1 leg. Therefore, team size may vary depending upon individual preferences. Participants may walk or jog – teams are expected to complete the course in an hour.
Teams (ideally 3 members) or individuals are welcome enter the 5 km fun run/walk event. To enter, each participant is asked to make a minimum donation of R10 (see entry form). Entries will be taken:
– Friday 16th March at a registration table outside the Rhodes University Library (09h00-15h00), or
– Sunday 18th March, at least 30 minutes before the start, or
– through deposits into the RU Green Fund account 621-455-03076, FNB branch code 210717, with reference “55258 769 372 + name of person/company”. Please bring proof of payment on the day as participants will be presented with a symbolic ticket.
Certificates and symbolic prizes (a tree planted in honour of the achievement) will be awarded for:
– Winning teams/individuals (first, second, third).
– Best and second-best outfit – a weird, wild or wonderful outfit depicting world leaders’ lack of leadership on the issue of environmental sustainability,
Opportunities to advertise
Organisations are encouraged to advertise on the lawn at the start / finish of the race. You may advertise what you do or upcoming events. Please provide whatever you need to place a free-standing advert on race day, such as poles, pegs, ropes etc. Hope to see you there!!